Please note that the Open Centre will be closed during the Easter break - from 12th April to 29th April. If you need to contact us during this time, please do so via our email - contact@derbyop..
Terms and Conditions
Our primary concern is the well-being of everyone who visits us – particularly children, so all our staff members are DBS checked.
Non-staff members who visit schools to speak on specialist subjects may not be DBS checked and schools should ensure that they remain with a qualified teacher at all times while they are on school premises.
It is worth remembering that as well as pupils seeing part of Derby that they may not have seen before, the people of Derby are also seeing the pupils – and making judgements about young people based on what they see.
- The Open Centre has carried out detailed Risk Assessments on its premises to ensure that all risks are removed or minimised.
- The Open Centre has full Public Liability insurance.
- We ask teachers to be aware of the fire notices and exits in the Open Centre.
There are two main exits at the front of the building (one at the main door of the Open Centre and the sliding door – part of Pear Tree Baptist Church). In the case of an automatic or verbal fire warning, everyone should exit the building immediately (without stopping to pick up any belongings) and assemble on the grassed area in front of Pear Tree Baptist Church.
- As a charity we are always short of money! We therefore ask you to pay your invoices as quickly as possible – either by cheque or by direct bank transfer. Details for bank transfer are on all our invoices. Any additional contributions you can make to our work would be greatly appreciated.
Minimum group size
Our minimum group size (to make our work financially viable) is 25.
Please contact us if your group will be smaller than this.
Booking Terms and Conditions – November 2018 onwards
The following terms and conditions apply to any existing and new bookings from November 2018 onwards. These terms and conditions supersede any previous terms and conditions you may have received.
Booking Information – Pricing
As coach prices have continued to rise, the Open Centre wants to ensure all children and visitors have the opportunity to experience different religions and cultures at least once in their life. To support with this, the Open Centre now offers all services at a tailored and affordable price. Our prices can only be offered these rates if all visitors/children attend.
- When booking your visit or activity with the Open Centre, our staff will ask you the number of children who we will be working with. The price quoted for our services is based on the full number of children originally booked – attending in full.
Booking Information – Booking Forms
- The Open Centre will send a booking form as a confirmation of a provisional booking. If you have not received a booking form, then your booking may not be confirmed. If you have received a booking form and don’t think you have made a booking, please contact us to clarify this, otherwise a charge may be incurred.
- Once you have received your booking form, please read and check all the information carefully. It is your responsibility to bring any discrepancies to our attention.
- If anything changes from your booking form prior to your visit/activity, please notify us of this. This includes, contact information, names ,additional needs information, and allergies.
- You must notify the Open Centre no later than one month (to the date) of final visit numbers, if they are different from your original booking form. If you do not notify the Open Centre of a reduced number of attendees then the full costs quoted on the original booking form will be applicable to the invoice. If you have booked with less than one months’ notice to the visit, the cost quoted on the original booking form is applicable even if there are less attendees.
- It is recommended that permission/reply slips for visits and activities are sent out a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the visit. This then provides both the school and the Open Centre with time to deal with any questions or queries
Therefore if full numbers are not set to attend, the school can make the decision to either bring fewer children or the Open Centre may be able to lead a visit at the school instead or make amendments to the original timetable. A copy of our template letter is available on our website or upon request.
- Please see our additional support guide for parental strategies or if you would prefer to talk to us, please call us on 01332 360737.
Prior to the arrival
- If the group is running more than 10 minutes late than the expected arrival time, the Open Centre has the right the rearrange the agreed timetable in order to facilitate the visit. This may mean visits are cut short. If you anticipate you are going to be late, please contact us via phone immediately on 01332 360737. If the group is more than 20 minutes late with no contact from the school or we are unable to contact the school, the Open Centre reserves the right to cancel the visit.
During the Visit
- Teachers remain legally responsible for the children in their care at all times.
- Teachers remain responsible for discipline and the good behaviour of their pupils at all times. If Open Centre staff think the safety of anyone in the group is at risk due to behaviour they have the right to stop the session.
- Teachers must know the total number of visitors at all times to ensure fire safety. This includes the number of adults.
- The Open Centre has carried out risk assessments for each activity, though it is up to the school to conduct their own risk assessments in addition to this.
- Group leaders are responsible for supervising children or visitors in the group during toilet breaks. Visitors must check the toilets prior to departing to ensure they are left in an acceptable manner. If toilets are not left in an acceptable manner, the Open Centre reserves the right to apply an additional cleaning charge of up to £10, to your invoice.
- If the school wish to cancel their visit the following charges apply;
- 30 days or more notice – No Charge
- 14 to 30 days notice – Staff Costs and room hire costs (if applicable)
- Less than 7 days notice – 50% of original booking quotation
- Failure to turn up on the day with no prior warning – Full quoted total of the visit.
- The Open Centre reserves the right to cancel or rearrange any visit in exceptional circumstances.
- Cancellation costs do not apply when extreme weather conditions affect visits but the visits must be rearranged as soon as possible otherwise a cancellation cost may be incurred.
There is no charge for rearranging visits, providing we have at least 30 days notice and the visit is rearranged for the same academic year. Please note – we can only rearrange a visit once, otherwise an administrative charge of £10 will be applied.